On Tuesday, non-profit IT trade organisation CompTIA published a formula of a Cyberstates 2016 report, and a commentary are good news for tech workers. According to a report, practice in a tech attention strike a tip expansion rate in some-more than a decade.
In 2015, tech practice in a U.S. strike 6.7 million people for companies with grave payroll in place, adult roughly 200,000 from a year prior. Additionally, there were 1 million self-employed or sole-proprietorship tech workers in a U.S. that year.
This outlines a fifth year of uninterrupted expansion for a industry, with tech accounting for 7.1% of a U.S. GDP and 11.6% of sum altogether payroll in a private sector. CompTIA’s news lists a expansion of tech practice during 3% year over year (YOY), compared to a inhabitant practice expansion normal during 2.1% YOY in 2015.
The tech attention now employs some-more people than many of a biggest industries in a U.S., including construction, finance, insurance, and car apparatus manufacturing. However, tech is a rather general term, so let’s mangle it down by subset.
SEE: Help Desk Policy Template (Tech Pro Research)
IT services led a growth, adding 105,400 jobs final year, definition it accounts for some-more than half of a altogether pursuit expansion in tech in 2015. That brought a sum practice of IT services to 2.2 million, that CompTIA attributed, in part, to “high expansion rates in tradition mechanism programming services and mechanism systems pattern services.”
Engineering services, RD, and contrast were subsequent in terms of growth, adding 48,100 jobs in 2015. This zone now totals 1.7 employees, with expansion tagged during 2.9%.
In third place was a telecommunications and internet services subsectors, adding 35,700 employees for a sum of 1,324,700. Software came in fourth place with 5,300 employees added—its sixth uninterrupted year of growth—and tech production combined 3,700 new employees.
Wage growth, however, was a opposite story in 2015. Annualized normal salary for a tech attention were $105,400 in 2015, adult $1,200 from a prior year. To put that series in perspective, a normal annualized salary in a private zone in 2015 was $51,600, reduction than half of a tech attention average.
Software employees took a endowment for tip normal compensate during $142,500, though that usually grew 0.6% from a year before. Tech production was subsequent in line in terms of salary during $108,100 in 2015, though it gifted a aloft salary expansion during 1.2%. Telecom was a lowest profitable during $99,200, though it had a tip expansion during 1.9% between 2014 and 2015.
SEE: The State of IT Jobs: Winners and Losers (ZDNet)
Total tech payroll in a U.S. for 2015 was $708 billion, adult $28.8 from 2014, practiced for inflation. The tech payroll accounts for scarcely 12% of all private zone payroll in a US. In terms of particular subsectors, IT services had a largest normal payroll during $232,100.
The news also pennyless a tech industry’s expansion down by state. California leads in tech employment, wages, payroll, and in series of establishments. Texas and New York were both tip 5 in terms of practice and growth, and Massachusetts and Washington done it into many of a tip 5 lists as well.
The news also minute a tip 5 states in terms of percent of women employed in a tech industry. Washington DC lead with 39.5%, South Dakota was subsequent with 38.7%, Mississippi had 38.4%, Wisconsin brought 37.2%, and Nebraska dull out a tip 5 with 37.2%.
If these trends continue, there’s no doubt that a tech attention will continue as a sought-after career margin in a U.S.
You can download a full 112-page news here.
The 3 large takeaways for TechRepublic readers
- US tech practice strike 6.7 million people after attack a strongest expansion rate in some-more than a decade. This is good news for tech employees, as it signifies fortitude in a pursuit market.
- IT services led a growth, so meddlesome job-seekers competence demeanour to that subsector if they are in a market. Software led wages, that might meant increasing foe for program jobs relocating forward.
- Total tech payroll grew in 2015 as well, with IT services carrying a largest normal payroll. IT leaders need to devise their budgets wisely for a entrance year, holding into comment a flourishing need for resources in IT.
- How will AI impact jobs? High-powered row tackles a large question (TechRepublic)
- The state of IT jobs in a US (ZDNet)
- 16 tech jobs that will be indispensable for a destiny of intelligent cities (TechRepublic)
- Four IT jobs during a vanguard of a subsequent call in tech (ZDNet)
- 10 Twitter accounts to follow to assistance we find a tech job (TechRepublic)